So what do you do when you have your vegetarian friends come over. Search on pinterest for a few good recipes to try out while they visit. I found this enchilada casserole and it sounded simple and delicious. This is definitely a good one for a larger crowd.
I adjusted a few things when I read over the recipe. I used the southwest corn instead of regular corn. I also sauteed my peppers before starting to layer the dish. I just prefer them a little bit softer. The recipe mentioned a jalapeno sauce which I did add. If you don’t have to worry about people that have a sensitivity to heat I would have added 2 Tbsp instead of the one to give it an extra kick. Overall everyone was happy and really liked the dish. I will be making this again:) Thank you to Aberdeen’s Kitchen for a great option!
PREP TIME: 10 mins
COOK TIME: 50 mins
TOTAL TIME: 1 hour
Author: Aberdeen’s Kitchen
- 24-28 corn tortillas
- 3½ cups red enchilada sauce
- 1 tablespoon El Pato or your favorite Jalapeño sauce
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1½ cups sweet yellow corn kernels, cooked
- 2 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese and monterey jack cheese blend
- Fresh cilantro, diced for garnish
- Green onion, thinly sliced for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375˚F. Grease a 9X13 casserole dish and set aside.
- Combine enchilada sauce and El Pato in a bowl until fully mixed.
- Lay 8 tortillas on the bottom of the pan (overlapping is fine).
- Spread about 1½ cup of the mixed sauce onto the tortillas, fully coating them.
- Sprinkle half the beans, half the corn, and half the of the bell pepper on top of the sauced tortillas and top with a third of the cheese blend.
- Repeat the layering process starting again with the tortillas, then add sauce, then the rest of the beans, bell pepper, corn, and another third of the cheese.
- Top this second layer with another 8 tortillas. Coat with the remaining sauce and sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top.
- Place in the middle rack of the oven for 45 – 55 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling, cheese is melted and the middle is cooked through.
- Let cool for about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro and serve immediately.